The new software version 14.1.0 has been rolled out for all Tolino eReader models since November 25, 2020. All information here.
The Tolino Shine 1 is excluded from the update. For this model Tolino has not provided any new updates since software version 10.5.0.
After the update to version 14.0.1, the following functions and improvements are available:
- A loading bar is shown when opening media
- Improved CODE / passphrase query when loading LCP / CARE titles for the first time
- New architecture for rendering content with visibly better performance and more intuitive book menu (BETA feature)
- The software has also been improved, bugs fixed and more stability ensured
What is the BETA feature “tolino reading experience” all about?
The BETA feature “tolino reading experience” offers an optional reader that is still in the development phase (BETA).
This feature has been available since software update 14.0.0.
=> Since the feature is in the test phase, some functions are not yet fully available.
When you first download a title from the Onleihe with LCP or CARE DRM, on Tolinos with the software update 14.0.x a query automatically appears which asks you if this feature shall be activated. The activation option is already preselected and we also recommend using the feature, as titles with our DRM in particular benefit from the new developments.
The feature can be activated or deactivated separately for eBooks with LCP / CARE and eBooks without DRM at any time in the settings of the Tolino in the menu item “Reading settings” under “tolino reading experience (beta)”. To do this, simply set the stylized toggle switch of the option "EPUBs with LCP encryption (recommended)" to "ON" for activated or "OFF" for deactivated.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the BETA feature?
With this feature the previously reported defect ePub3 titles can be read on the Tolino.
Without this feature the previous reader is used. This means that such titles can still only be used via a detour on the Tolino.
For more information see here.
Please understand that some functions in the BETA feature are not yet fully available or that they cause errors when activated. This includes e.g.:
- Markings, notes cannot be made.
- Pinch-Zoom function (change the font size with 2 fingers by zooming).
- Returning the loaned titles causes a misleading notice. Please note that the title is returned in the background, but not deleted from the device.
- Cover display of borrowed titles Scroll by swiping or pressing a button (e.g. pages can be skipped).
- Function for setting bookmarks is missing.